Friday, April 18, 2008

Stimulus Check Spending Ideas

I haven't given much thought yet to what I will do with my stimulus check when it arrives, until this morning. There are so so many things I could do with it.

My first thought was, "well, it's meant to be spent and help stimulate the economy so I should go buy some things I've been wanting for a long time, like bookshelves or a new sofa for the basement".

But then I started to wonder if that was the best idea or not. I mean, this is like some nice free money, maybe I should use it to buy things that will help us out in the long run. Things that I maybe wouldn't be able to do as easily in my normal budget, or things that are worthwhile but maybe not as high priority.

Here are a few ideas I came up with to use the money:

Food Storage: I've said before, you would be glad to have some if you needed it.

Items to Organize Your Food Storage: It's no good to have food storage if its not organized or easily accessible. I need some more shelves in my storage room, like these. I already have a few and LOVE them!

72 Hour Emergency Kits: If a disaster strikes, you need to be able to survive for a minimum of 72 hours before help arrives. It would be good to have a kit in your car, as well as in your home to grab should you need to evacuate quickly.

Things to Help Improve Energy Efficiency (and Reducing Your Energy Costs): Updating and upgrading your appliances to more energy efficient models, lining your draperies with thermal liners, putting in SolaTubes or getting Smart Powerstrips or any other ideas from this post.

Gardening and Canning Supplies: Plant some fruit trees. My parents planted a small orchard in our front yard as kids but the way they did it looks nice. Not much room? Try espalier fruit trees along a fence or the side of your house. It's an investment for food for your future. Basic canning supplies will help you preserve your bounty.

Well, those are just a few of the ideas I came up with as jumping off points. If I come up with more, then I'll add them. What are you planning on using your check for?


~~~~~

Still wondering when your check will arrive? Then read, Wonder No More, to find out when you can expect it.

No comments: