Friday, May 30, 2008

Beyond the Lemonade Stand

It's the last day of school in my neck of the woods today. So I thought it would be fun to compile a list of summer jobs for kids. Kids around here are pretty resourceful, here are just a few ideas we've had circulate the neighborhood over the years.

  • Painting house numbers on the curb so emergency vehicles can spot you better at night {black, white and silver combinations~~works especially well in new subdivisions) ~~$5
  • Washing windows~~$1-2/window
  • Power washing your house, garbage cans, etc~~$25 for the house, $10 each garbage can
  • Picking up dog doo-doo~~$2/week (I think I'd charge more than that!)
  • Walking your dog~~don't remember the price
  • Selling concessions at free family movies in the backyard (your own backyard with a projector~~you can't charge admission to the movie, but you can sell treats!)~~varies based on the concessions
  • Selling full size candy bars found super cheap on sale then resold at a profit (this one has worked well for my daughter), or smaller candies that just cost a few cents because kids will dig up money from all sorts of places to come buy candy~~varies based on the candy
  • Reading to small children~~don't remember, but my niece is doing it this summer
  • The basics: babysitting, lemonade stands, car washes and lawn mowing

What other ideas could kids do?

1 comment:

Hot Shauna said...

This is caleb. I think the movie treats thing would be great. This summer, I'm buying a $20 snow cone machine with my own money. It's worth buying. But I was wondering, if you do the movie thing, could I sell snow cones there?